I am definitely NOT enjoying this process, and I’m hopeful that it proceeds in a professional, patient-first manner, but I am in the process of “interviewing” new doctors for Jacquelynn.
As regular readers are aware, her original doctor on this protocol was, by all evidence, a tremendous physician, but in the long run, her office’s unresponsiveness and lack of follow-through doomed this relationship. We have never, from the first scheduled-and-twice-delayed-without-warning follow-up video conference appointment, felt as if Jacquelynn’s case was treated with any level of priority. I listened to all the stories of staffing issues and taking over patients from other doctors mixed with the pressures of opening an office on the West Coast and serving as CMO for the entire institute while mired in an ongoing legal battle over the flood damage to their primary office, and while I sympathize and empathize with all these difficulties, to be brutally honest, they mean shit to me.
What matters to me is my wife, and all the explanations in the world aren’t going to get us past the fact that she deserves and needs to be a priority to her doctor. This is a very hands-on process, and we need a physician with that same philosophy.
I actually thought we had this all ironed out last Thursday (1/25/18). With the doctor’s finally reviewing with us the three-month-old results of her Lyme screening (positive for four strains which we could have been treating all this time) and promise to get the information for how to proceed as well as scheduling follow-up labs and our next office visit to me that evening or the next morning at the latest. But it’s been a week and I’m still awaiting that information. I’ve emailed a firm but polite reminder, which has also gone unanswered.
So, earlier this week I logged onto the MPI Cognition site and searched for doctors/practitioners nearer home. Mind you, this is a very new feature, only live for a little over a month, so not an option that was available to us when we desperately needed to get Jacquelynn seen as quickly as possible. I had at that point written Dr. Bredesen’s office directly to request a practitioner referral and was told that their referral system was under construction and wouldn’t be live anytime soon. That is when they referred me to the first doctor we saw. Even though she was in Georgia, 600+ miles away, it was our only option at that time east of Los Angeles, so I called and got us a very difficult-to-schedule appointment. We even got bumped up once due to a cancellation.
To my surprise, the site showed me two offices within fifty miles of our home. The nearest is an MD, Naturopathic Doctor (ND), and Functional Medicine specialist who has long specialized in treatment of toxicities, with Lyme being one of her primary focuses. Our first appointment with this new doctor is Monday, February 19th.
Bonuses, as I see them:
This doctor (who shall remain nameless until I know for sure if this relationship is going to work out) is about 40 minutes from home. In addition to the benefit of no more travel/hotel/fuel (or plane ticket) expenses, her listed office visit prices are significantly lower than the first doctor’s.
For the first 6 months, this doctor wants to see ReCODE patients monthly, to monitor progress and stay on top of any adjustments which need be made.
Following that, every 3 months.
I’m deeply hopeful that this proves to be a terrific relationship. As many of you know, my personal philosophy is that life happens for us rather than to us. I believe that I was led to this conclusion and that it is the right thing for Jacquelynn at this juncture. We NEEDED Dr. Ross at the beginning of this process, and remain hugely grateful for her and to her. Without her help in September, it is unlikely that there would be enough of Jacquelynn remaining at this point to save, and I will always feel indebted to Dr. Ross for that. But every situation evolves, and this is how it has unfolded. I’m honestly excited to proceed.